Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How do I study

As most of you would have guessed, I don't really study. Well that's not true, I don't sit down 2-3 hours at a time and do all the questions and read all the chapters, no, that's what my friend Jack does. That method works perfectly well for him because that's his habit and the way he learn, but I simply cannot endure that long and I know I won't be studying effectively.

Which Questions to Do?

So how do I study? I go through the key things. I know, everyone says this but what does it really mean? For example, first I will go through the MAIN equations, nothing derived from the basic equations, but ONLY the main ones. After I understand these I will go and practice a select amount of questions that I found was difficult in the past assignments, yet they must not be so hard that I know the prof won't put them on the exam. After I go through these, my friends who started studying early probably already aggregated a a few questions that they found difficult. Perfect! I now go through these question and make sure I thoroughly understand them. Again I make sure none of these questions are ridiculously time-consuming. After this I will do a practice exam. Now here comes what I believe is the core to my studying habits, I answer questions. I tend to always stay online so I am available if people have questions or concerns. When people ask me something, I'll think about these questions and give them an answer if I am able.

Study Habits?

I honestly believe this depends on the individual, but I generally cringe when I see someone working super slowly through each question... That's just me though. I like to think of myself as fast and efficient (that's what she said...). As for the environment to study in? I think studying alone is better than studying with friends (though keep in mind that I mean alone as in physically but I still talk to friends online). But the BEST situation to study in is an awkward situation. When I know I really have to sit down and study for an exam, I go on campus and find a room where there's a group of friends who aren't too noisy. I sit down in the room and suddenly the group is like "Why is this guy here...". Awkward. Silence, everyone do their own thing, Yes. This is what I wanted, now that it's awkward, I'm more likely to concentrate and less likely to get distracted.

Music? Games? Sleep? Food?

Do what you have to do! Personally I do not listen to music while I'm working because I know that if I am really concentrated, I wouldn't hear it anyways. Game, sleep and food. Well girls may not have a problem with gaming, but for the rest of us guys, I say do it. If a lot of your friends are queuing up for a game of DotA and they need one more? Join them! It's good to relax and just not think about work once in a while. I always play quite a bit of games the night before my exam for no exact reason... Secondly, if you're sleepy or hungry, then satisfy yourself! Just make sure not to over do it; don't sleep for 12 hours, or eat for an 1.5 hours or something along those lines.

TL;DR

Study from your friend's problems. Study in an awkward situation when needed. Satisfy your needs to a certain degree.

QOTD:
For guys, why do you work out? Is it to get the girls or for your own health? Be honest.
For girls, do you care if the guy is buff or do you care more about his background? Be honest.

P.S. No one's gonna be honest...

No comments: